Many people are increasingly using the internet for online counselling. If you are interested in TelePsychology sessions, read the following information.
Technological Requirements for Clients using Online-Counselling
For a Tele-Counselling session, you will need a computer with broadband Internet access, a webcam, microphone, and our program. We will send you an invitation to the online session and you will need to set up your user account.
Advantages of Online-Counselling
- Research suggests that it tends to be equally effective as in-person therapy.
- Time-effective (no need to take time off work or travel anywhere).
- Cost-effective (no travel costs, no parking fees, no child-care costs).
- You may be more comfortable speaking about your problems with someone who is not in the same room as you.
- Provides service to those living in remote areas.
Disadvantages of Online-Counselling
- The client may not be familiar with online communication and may be uncomfortable with using online technologies.
- The therapist may not easily see or hear you. You will need to let your therapist see you body language and you may need to repeat yourself.
- Online counselling is not appropriate for all issues/problems.
- Although we do our best to protect your confidentiality, it cannot be guaranteed as data may be intercepted when online.
- Online counselling is relatively new and standards are still being developed.