Has your relationship become a constant struggle? Are you afraid that your relationship is getting worse? Is there a part of you that feels helpless or ineffective as a partner? Couples counselling is a collaborative process between a therapist and the couple that aims to facilitate change and improve the client’s quality of life and relationships.
What is Couples Counselling?
Couples counselling can help people confront barriers that interfere with emotional and mental well-being, increase positive feelings, and enhance self-esteem. Typically, couples develop insights, become more self-aware and other-aware, and grow/learn together. In couples therapy, the clients and the therapist determine the goals for therapy and track goal attainment over time in order to ensure that the clients are achieving their relationship goals and maximizing the benefits from the therapy and the therapeutic approach.
Is Counselling For Us?
Often times, couples say that they have tried different strategies to resolve their problems or maybe they do not know what to do to feel connected or satisfied in their relationship. It is common for every relationship to go through life struggles and it is likely that you have felt the down times in your relationship at some point. However, if you find it difficult to discuss issues without feeling overwhelmed/triggered or wanting to check out and avoid the interaction, it is likely time to consult with a psychologist.
Couples in Distress
How can I tell if my marriage is in trouble, and what can I do to prevent breakup?
Couples who are in a distressed relationship may experience the following:
- Constantly think about or feel preoccupied by the relationship
- Have the same arguments without much resolution
- Are not being able to talk with one another without getting into an argument, walking away, or using the “silent treatment”
- Feel emotionally disconnected and that your partner “doesn’t get you”
- Feel sexually disconnected from one another
- Living parallel lives, living in separate rooms, and not intersecting with one another a lot
- Feel unsure whether they should separate or divorce
- In law issues that may make it difficult to create and maintain a trusting and supportive relationship
Through the use of research-based and confidential therapy, together, you can begin to address your relationship issues in a safe and caring place. Call or email HopeWell Psychological today to change your relationship and change your life.
Get Couples Counselling before there is a Problem
Even if you have not experienced many of the above relationship distress symptoms, typically, most relationships can use a check-up to prevent the relationship from derailing, whether you have been in a relationship for a few months or many years. Couples counselling can help you work on many goals, some of which are listed below:
- Pre-marital preparation
- To resolve a specific problem
- To improve communication
- To enhance trust
- To resolve the pain and betrayal associated with an indiscretion
- To enhance sexual intimacy and emotional connectedness
- To renew and rekindle your spark
- To manage anger or criticism
- To tolerate relationship distress and build resiliency
- To learn how to respond in new ways
Allow us to assist you in building a connection with yourself and your partner. No matter what the issue is, therapy is most successful when both partners are willing to be open, honest, and are motivated to make changes in order to enhance the relationship.